DAY 1 PRAYERS
6pm Monday – 6pm Tuesday
NEIGHBORHOOD • CITY • STATE
We begin this 3-day prayer journey by praying for our local community – our neighborhoods, city and state. These are the nucleus of our nation. God created us to be in relationship with him and one another. It is through Godly relationships locally that our states, our nation and the world are to be subdued. [Genesis 1:27-28] Undermine men and women, boys and girls, and the family and everything else is undermined as well.
Consider specifics to your neighborhood, city and state. Use these suggested prayer items as a guide and add others as you are led by the Holy Spirit.
- Pray for safety from every kind of violence and for God’s protective covering over individuals, families and children, and property
- Pray for unity, charity and humility (love ) in families and that neighborhoods will come back to personal interaction and kindness
- Pray that strongholds of divisiveness and selfishness be broken, and replaced with the fruit of the Spirit of Christ. [Galatians 5:22-23]
- Pray for godly, moral relationships the way God designed
Pray for yourself:
- That you will be purposeful in reaching out to others in your neighborhood to extend care and love
- Acknowledge to God any weaknesses in this area and confess any sin that may be in your way of being the man or woman or husband or wife that is revealed in the Bible
There is a difference between schooling and education. God desires that we grow and mature in the knowledge of Christ, but the knowledge he desires is not simply book learning and memorization. He desires that we know him in his character. We should all desire that children and young adults be educated by growing in understanding in what is being taught.
Elementary school all the way through college is fertile territory for the enemy to infiltrate with lies and every kind of temptation. Our children and young adults need identity and meaning. Many are struggling in disillusionment.
Consider the challenges and difficulties of your local schools, children, young adults, and parents. Pray the listed items and other prayers God puts on your heart.
- That schools would excel in educating students in the critical skills needed for today’s vocations – that political and social agendas would diminish
- For education systems to be reformed and brought back to teaching correct information about America’s history
- That teachers, administrators, parents, and students unify in meaningful ways, and that parents be rightfully acknowledged as the proper authority of their children’s education and well-being
- Physical and spiritual protection over the hearts and minds of children and young adults
- That God draw many young people into a relationship with Christ to find love, security, and meaning
Pray for yourself:
- For courage and boldness to lovingly challenge aspects of public education that dilute or diminish true education
- To offer gratitude and encouragement to educators who work hard and do good work
- To be alert to the enemy’s schemes or agendas to deceive young people and do something about it, if possible
- Acknowledge to God any weaknesses in this area and confess sin that may be in your way
First Responders (Police, Fire, EMT, Sheriffs)
Our first responders are on the front lines. Their world is increasingly uncertain and dangerous. What they see on a daily basis would shock most of us. It is understandable why and how some could become numb or calloused, as they often see the worst in humanity. And now there are being systemically labeled racists.
At the same time we see incidents where law enforcement are bypassing the citizen’s Constitutional rights. This is not good for our local areas and cities. It breeds contempt and distrust. Where there are “bad apples” they need to be dealt with properly.
Consider the challenges and difficulties of your local first responders. Pray the listed items and other prayers God puts on your heart.
- That first responders be kept safe as they serve their communities
- For respect and kindness from the public they serve
- For the proper backing and support from the city and state government to be able to do their jobs effectively
- For humility and honesty to behave as servants and abide by the law and the Constitution, even as it is difficult
- For wisdom and discernment in all conditions and situations they confront
Pray for yourself:
- That you (we), the people they serve, will be respectful and dignified in our interactions
- Acknowledge to God any weaknesses in this area and confess sin that is in your way
The government is ordained by God to be a minister of God for the people [Romans 13:4-5]. Government is to serve as a steward of the revenue they receive, to rule justly, and to avenge evil. The law of God, natural law, is paramount to the Christian and to the government. The United States Constitution is law of land. The sates cannot override Constitutional law. Some taxpayers believe we need more government, others believe we need less. Regardless, for our cities and states to function well the government and the citizens are called to be responsible stewards with resources and with human interactions. Where there is waste, fraud, and abuse of power in government it must stop. Where there is corruption, unjust rules and no action to stop evil, it must stop. Where the citizens are wasteful and demand more government we should remember that government revenue comes from your neighbor. Loving your neighbor as yourself is not to burden him with more taxes. We are called by God to submit to righteous government and pray for our leaders.
Pray the listed items and others where the Holy Spirit leads you:
- That all elected officials understand their authority comes from God
- That our government have the heart of a servant rather than a ruler
- For all government to be frugal with the revenue they take it in, and to be faithful stewards
- For wisdom and creativity in finding solutions to difficult issues
- That corruption, fraud, waste and every form of evil or injustice be eliminated
- Petition God to intervene, in His way, over the all the courts in the state for just weights and measures
- Petition God to intervene, in His way, for victims of crimes that have not seen justice, and for His compassion in their life, and perpetrators be brought to justice
- Petition God for mercy, in His way, for violators whose sentences appear too harsh, and for all violators to find Jesus
- Petition God to bring into the light where there is corruption in the justice system and for just remedy
Pray for yourself:
- To be good citizens; demonstrate Godliness as an ambassador of Christ
- To be good stewards, conscious of wasting or abusing our State’s resources
- To take responsibility for ourselves and one another rather than requiring more government, and taxes from our neighbors, for things we should be responsible for
- To be an active citizen in the affairs of your government as ambassadors of Christ – salt and light – to influence government and hold government accountable toward goodness and morality
- Sometimes, we get the government we deserve by being complacent. Acknowledge to God your weaknesses in these areas. Confess any sin that may be in your way of being a good citizen
- Pray for Christians to learn and grow into working out our differences among ourselves
- Pray that our churches practice and become known for wise council and arbitrators of reconciliation
We desire to impact our local areas in ways that honor Jesus and make a real difference. One of our challenges is allowing relativism, culture, and politics to take precedence over our true calling. If we are not discerning, wise and vigilant, our decisions can be based on what feels right or seems right [Proverbs 16:25], but is not sound doctrine. We sometimes choose the easier path of being liked or trying too hard be like the culture.
Prayer that is powerful and effective is connected to keeping our own house clean and in order. [James 5:16]
Pray these items and others where the Holy Spirit leads you. Be alert to discern what is your own agenda and not go into a place of judgement.
- That we honor Jesus by avoiding agendas that do not conform to the Bible. [Romans 12:2]
- That we be Salt and Light in the midst of distastefulness and darkness in our communities. [Matthew 5:13]
- That we believe that Christ is the head of our churches and that as we submit, boldly and confidently, he increases our numbers. [Acts 16:4-5]
Pray for yourself:
- Confess to God the areas in your life that are not honoring to him and your church. [Psalm 51:17]
- Confess unforgiveness in your heart toward the church or someone, and any bitterness that is hindering you. [Matthew 6:14-15]
- Repent, which is to agree with God, change your mind, do things his way. [Acts 3:19]
- Receive God’s forgiveness. [1 John 1:9]
It is a sin to despise one’s neighbor, but blessed is the one who is kind to the needy. Proverbs 14:21